Monday 25 March 2019

Slovenian Quick Takes March 2019

I haven't posted on Slovenia for a while, but it's not because we haven't been travelling - just not in this part of the world. Our teen went on a school trip to Madrid, and I braved taking our three year-old to the UK by myself for a couple of weeks - but that's not the stuff this blog is made of. So, for the curious or bored, here's one of my occasional cultural catch-ups.

1. I'm still ploughing on with my weekly private Slovenian lessons. I'm much better at reading and writing Slovene, but when someone talks to me or I have to open my mouth, my brain shuts down in terror. Some days I am amazed at how far I've come; others, I still feel stupid. But I am officially half way through my textbook!

2. Did you know that tarot cards weren't made for divination? They were originally designed for a centuries-old card game, and Slovenia is one of the countries where it is still played (it's called tarok). We had a fun evening with a group of colleagues  trying it out - the rules are hideously complicated and full of exceptions. Strangely, just like the Slovene language.



3. We are at last cautiously optimistic that we can look for a new place to live, so we (okay, Ted, I'm too superstitious about it) are starting to see what's available. The market is small because Slovenes tend to stay put. Houses are also often for sale lock, stock and barrel (i.e. with all the furnishings). As Ted commented, some of the houses on offer look like the owner died and all they did was move the body.

4. I'm ready to move out of an eighth floor apartment, but I will miss our spectacular view. This past week, I could gaze out of the kitchen windows at the snow-capped mountains in the distance, framed by a topaz blue sky, while the spring sunshine glinted down on the sea, dotted with little white triangles of the sail boats in a youth regatta. No wonder we've never bothered to hang pictures.



5. We took a little break from official business for a few months, but it was time to get our drivers licenses changed before the one-year deadline (after which we would have to take about a gazillion hours of lessons). The steps involved are:
i. Queuing up at the administrative office (Upravna Enota) to get the forms.
ii. Taking a medical exam and getting the form to prove we are fit to drive.
iii. Getting official proof that our US licences are valid.
iv. Going back to the administrative office with forms from i, ii and iii and coming up with copious reasons to prove not just that we live here, but we have a life here, like our child is in kindergarten and we give up precious hours of our life to stand in line at the administrative office.
v. Waiting a month for the forms to be processed and to see if we have to go back for a further interview before we get official permission to take lessons.
vi. Actually getting to take lessons.
vii. Going back to the administrative office to register to take the driving test.
viii. Taking the test.
viii. Going back to the administrative office to get our licence and to 'give up' our American licences, which are sent to the Embassy to be 'destroyed'.
ix. Driving to the Embassy in Ljubljana to pick up our 'destroyed' licences.

We are currently at step v. Lord, have mercy.

6. Since Brexit is looming, I am doing... actually, I am doing nothing. I think I may be dead before we actually exit.

No comments:

Post a Comment